What to know before you go…..
Although Volunteers at our Build sites and Critical Home Repair projects will receive an email with all the pertinent build details a few days prior to their volunteer date. Here are some things to know:
What to know…
- Volunteers need no building experience, just a willingness to help!
- We build most days, Tuesday-Saturday. We do not build Sunday and Monday
- Corporate teams builds are held Tuesday-Friday, although general volunteers may sign up for any “open day” listed on the calendar as “Volunteer”.
- Saturdays are reserved for General Volunteers and Community/Faith teams
- Build site hours are 8:00 am -3:00 pm. It is important to arrive on time to hear build site and safety instructions and minimize work flow interruptions.
- Volunteers at the Build Site and on Critical Home Repair projects must be 18 years of age or older
What to bring…
- All volunteers must sign a Release and Waiver of Liability. Choice Adult Volunteer Waiver Form or Minor Volunteer Waiver Form
( If you forget your form, don’t worry, we will have waiver forms on site)
- Lunch is provided for Corporate build teams, please bring a water bottle
- General volunteers should bring a bag lunch and water bottle
- We have a trailer full of tools so no need to bring your own
- We do have work gloves but if you have a favorite pair, feel free to bring along!
What to wear…
- Wear comfortable clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty or painted!
- Dress in layers, most homes we are building/rehabbing do not have permanent heat and volunteers work inside and outside in most weather.
- Closed toe shoes are a must- no sandals, flip flops!
- In the summer months a hat and sunscreen are key
- Although we realize you may have the need to check in at the office, please keep cell phone use to a minimum, we want you to fully enjoy your volunteer experience with us!
- No smoking or vaping allowed on site.
- Be aware of your surroundings. It is the goal of our onsite staff to keep you safe, help us by being attentive to other volunteers and materials onsite.
Frequently Asked Questions…
- Can I still volunteer if I can only work part of the day?
~Volunteers at our build site and on Critical Home Repair projects need to be available for the full 8-3 volunteer shift unless hours are changed by our staff or a volunteer has discussed special circumstances with us. We are working hard to complete home builds and repair projects on time and minimizing work flow interruptions with volunteers coming and leaving at different times allows us to do this. Plans for the day and safety information are all reviewed at the beginning of the shift so being on time is key.
- I tried to sign up for a day but I can’t seem to find a volunteer slot?
~Many days during the week are reserved for our Corporate Sponsor teams. These partners pay $1800 per day to send a team of volunteers and the day is reserved for their employees.
- Who do I contact to set up a group/team volunteer day?
~Corporate groups/teams should contact Kim Trainor at gro.tatibahllewol@roniartk
~Community/Faith/Campus and School groups/teams should contact gro.tatibahllewol@yevragl
- Who should I call if I have any other questions about volunteering?
~Contact our Community Outreach Director, Lisa Garvey at gro.tatibahllewol@yevragl or 978-692-0927